RFC: nuke pcidevs and usbdevs

Hasso Tepper hasso at estpak.ee
Thu Sep 27 12:07:21 PDT 2007

Justin C. Sherrill:
> How will this affect bringing in support for new devices from other BSD
> flavors?  Will it requires additional changes to imported code - to a
> greater extent than the usbdevs file now, for instance?
>
> If it's just that step being skipped, it sounds like a fine idea.

Yes, it will simplify things. Lets assume you see that some NetBSD
committer added new ID's to the driver which uses ID's in the match code.
At the moment you have to:

- Check from NetBSD pcidevs what are the numeric ID's for these devices.
- Check if these entries can be used in our pcidevs file. If not, resolve
  the conflicts.
- Commit pcidevs.
- Regenerate pcidevs.h and pcidevs_data.h and edit driver to add new
  entries.
- Commit pcidevs.h, pcidevs_data and driver.

Without pcidevs:

- Check from NetBSD pcidevs what are the numeric ID's for these devices.
- Edit driver to add new entries.
- Commit the driver.

--
Hasso