RFC: nuke pcidevs and usbdevs

Thomas E. Spanjaard tgen at netphreax.net
Thu Sep 27 08:06:38 PDT 2007

Hasso Tepper wrote:
 - Remove the usbdevs and pcidevs files. If the code wants to use defines
   for vendor and/or device id's, it has to define them itself.
Con. Imho, it's better to keep things like these in one place, for
easier maintenance and collision-spotting. The problem is we didn't
really inherit pcidevs from FreeBSD, but added it later on, making lots
of drivers ill-adjusted, or not adjusted at all, to pcidevs.

 - As maintaining descriptions database makes sense only for PCI devices,
   look at possibilities to generate structures for that from the
   share/misc/pci_vendors file. If it's needed at all?
pci_vendors is from upstream, and does not necessarily correspond with
what we want to present to the user.

Also, about drivers not using device strings, they should; but since we
inherited pcidevs-less drivers from FreeBSD, only a small amount has
been adapted to suit pcidevs.

Cheers,
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard