[Fwd: pkgsrc DragonFly 1.10.1/i386 2007-09-12 00:59]

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Sep 20 18:02:48 PDT 2007

On Thu, September 20, 2007 8:33 pm, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:

> Or hosts periodically syncing get automatically checked if they serve
> the data via http and get added to the list :)

(sorry, accidentally hit send on a previous version of the message.)

This is exactly why I said "use a CGI redirect" instead of DNS - I've
previously encountered this with other multi-host download systems like
Perl's CPAN - you manually pick a list of mirrors to set up, but if one of
the picks at the top of your list happens to be slow, you always end up
hitting that, and it's dumb to make every user out there need to configure
and reconfigure their list for speed when it can be done for everyone at
one spot.

FTP hosts could be used too, as only the original request has to be HTTP;
the redirect just has to be in the form of a URL, and
fetch/wget/firefox/whatever will all understand it.

Of course, now I've come up with the idea, so I suppose I have to put up
or shut up.