finally have the amd64/pc64 kernel linked

Oliver Fromme check+jokga100rs2j5q1b at fromme.com
Tue Sep 18 06:55:41 PDT 2007

[Quoting fixed.]

Noah yan wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Noah yan wrote:
 > > > two questions. the loader: look like it is ported on amd64 and able to
 > > > load an ELF64 kernel. Hope that is true. I am setting up a simics
 > > > simulator for a hammer. but it panic when booting from the dfly-1.10.1
 > > > iso. so is there issues running x86-32 dfly on an x86-64 machine? It
 > > > should not and this may be just the problem of simics.
 > >
 > > Have you thought about trying qemu?  I have successfully
 > > used qemu in the past to emulate amd64 machines on 32bit
 > > hardware.
 > >
 > > It's very simple to use.  You don't eve have to install
 > > the kqemu accelerator module; the standard emulation is
 > > way fast enough to test booting of CD images.
 >
 > i did try qemu long time ago, and the performance is not good. but
 > will try again.

It is true that it is too slow for "real" work that is
cpu-bound, if the kqemu acelerator module is not used.
But if you just want to test if an ISO image is bootable,
then qemu is fast enough.  In fact, booting a FreeBSD CD
up till the Login prompt is faster in qemu than on real
hardware.

 > xen is rather good, but not on dfly.

So far, qemu has worked perfectly fine (and fast!) for
me for all purposes, so I haven't had a need for Xen.
However, I'm using qemu on FreeBSD with the kqemu module.
As far as I know, that module doesn't work on DragonFly,
unfortunately.  Well, at least DragonFly can run _inside_
qemu without problems.  :-)

Best regards
   Oliver