New packages mirroring scheme, and a plan

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Nov 2 10:15:22 PDT 2007

:I found pkg_add (and I think 'make bin-install') can be set to use a CGI
:target that will accept redirects to mirror sites.  The Plan is to set a
:redirect script up on pkgbox.dragonflybsd.org, and then modify the default
:shell profiles/rc files on DragonFly to point at that URL.
:
:The goal of the Plan is to make any new DragonFly system able to install
:software 'out of the box'.  You then do not have an out-of-date pkgsrc src
:tree, and you do have a relatively reliable network installation system
:that works immediately and probably faster than building from source.
:
:Does anyone have an objection to 'The Plan'?

    I think this is an excellent idea (as we discussed a while back).  It
    will allow us to set a default target for downloading packages for all
    of our distributions and generally make things a whole lot easier
    to deal with.

    The only issue that came up last time it was discussed was the fact
    that pkg_add tries to get a full directory every time it accesses
    via a HTTP address, which can take a while.  I recall Joerg saying
    that was being worked on.  I think we can live with it until it gets
    dealt with by the pkgsrc folks.

					<dillon at backplane.com>