HEADS up on HEAD

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat May 19 10:56:24 PDT 2007

:As you expected, my ccd partitions(/var/obj and /home) no longer mount.
:Do I need to dump & restore filesystems on a ccd device after the changes
:to ccd device?

    Gimme a little time to play with it this morning, I should be able
    to figure out what happened.

    Could you dump the disklabel for ad0s1 and ad1s1 ?

:and the boot message relavant to CCD configuration (some of the message
:from fsck are mixed up because it thinks ccd0 and ccd1 are diffent devices?):
:
:  Configuring CCD devices.
:  ccdconfig: open: /dev/ccd0: Invalid argument
:  ccdconfig: open: /dev/ccd1: Invalid argument
:  ccd0t127: reading primary partition table: error writing offset 000000000000 for 512
:  ccd1t127: reading primary partition table: error writing offset 000000000000 for 512
:  Can't open /dev/ccd0a: Input/output error
:  Can't open /dev/ccd1a: Input/output error
:  /dev/ccd0a: /dev/ccd1a: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
:  /dev/ccd1a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
:
:  /dev/ccd0a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
:
:I haven't seen any other issues.  I can post any other information on request.
:Cheers.

    Well, there's a clue.  ccd0t127?  It's not happy with a device minor
    number somewhere.  Make sure your ccd devices in /dev have been updated,
    and try accessing the disklabel via ccd0s1, and the partitions via ccd0s1a
    and so forth.  It is possible that all you need to do is create an MBR
    (e.g. fdisk -IB on /dev/ccd0 or something like that... do NOT install an
    MBR on /dev/ccd0s1) and the disklabel that used to be directly
    associated with ccd0 will magically be found via ccd0s1.

    In anycase, I will try to reproduce it.  I'll create a ccd on my stable
    test box using vn and try to migrate it to my head test box.

					<dillon at backplane.com>