2.0 installer integration

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed May 23 23:08:42 PDT 2007

:...
:  * I can rewrite the Lua scripts to make them Dragonfly-specific.
:  * Replacing ports-related stuff with pkgsrc is almost done.
:
:What we cannot do:
:  * Make the CGI interface work.
:  * Make the installer reachable via SSH.
:
:More over, we need assistance. Everything we do needs to be tested, but
:we have no clue about integrating the whole thing into the nrelease
:framework. Is there any other way to test the installer, or is there
:anyone willing to assist us?
:
:Thanks in advance for the answers!
:
:--
:Gergo Szakal <bastyaelvtars at gmail.com>
:University Of Szeged, HU
:Faculty Of General Medicine

    The installer infrastructure is pretty straightforward.  The first
    thing to do is to do a nrelease build and poke around /usr/release/root
    (which, after the build is complete, is what the ISO is generated from).

    Probably the best way to test the installer is to use a virtual kernel
    environment.  Create two virtual disks (vkd's), one with the CD image
    that you 'boot' from, and the other that you install to.  I would
    play around with DragonFly's virtual kernel capability to get up to
    speed on it.

    It might take a little messing around to make the installer recognize
    the virtual kernel disks (vkd's) so you can install to one, but once
    you get the environment set up development would be a breeze.  We might
    even want to add some options to the vkernel to make vkd0 read-only,
    so it acts like a CD.  Then you could 'boot' from it without worrying
    about screwing it up, and you could mount the same image file on the
    real machine using the VN device.  So you could do your development
    on the real machine and just have a little script to run the virtual
    kernel to test it.

					<dillon at backplane.com>