first stab at simple mailer

Rahul Siddharthan rsidd at online.fr
Thu Mar 22 04:25:59 PDT 2007

Claude Assmann wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 21, 2007, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>
>>     But you still need to efficiently queue the mail for forwarding.  You
>>     can't just make separate connections to the target for each recipient.
>
>qmail does it...

Here's a discussion of the efficiency of this:
http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html#multi-rcpt

The claim is that making separate connections is usually faster (fewer
round-trip delays) because of how SMTP works.  It does use more
bandwidth but this is unlikely to be significant on most sites,
most of the time.

These days however, when people send attachments megabytes in size (or
viruses do it for them), I don't know whether that claim is still
true.

Rahul