first stab at simple mailer

Emiel Kollof coolvibe at hackerheaven.org
Tue Mar 20 19:42:08 PDT 2007

Op dinsdag 20 maart 2007 22:43, schreef Simon 'corecode' Schubert:

> How it works:
> - binary will be setgid mail or such.
> - mail gets accepted from stdin
> - mail gets written to spool dir
> - per recipient one child is being forked
> - childs try delivering
> - on timeout a bounce is created
> - if the system goes down, /etc/rc would start the mailer in queue
> processing mode, which does the same like above except for reading the mail
> from stdin.  instead it reads the queue.

I'm gonna take some stabs at it. I'm not really familiar with those linked
list macros, since I tend to write portable code :P but I'm gonna split
things up into logical parts and make this a standalone simple smtpd capable
of remote delivery (complete with DNS requests and all that jazz).

If I feel hairy enough I could make this a nice threaded mail server instead
of a brain-dead fork-something-for-every-accept-kinda deal (which is nice for
robustness but not for high workloads).

If I somehow lag behind with this (I do have a fulltime job and stuff
(girlfriend, etc.) ), then just take this forward.

Cheers,
Emiel

--
Comparing information and knowledge is like asking whether the fatness
of a pig is more or less green than the designated hitter rule."