SMP/UP kernel S01E02

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Mar 25 11:32:36 PDT 2007

:On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:37:26 -0700 (PDT)
:Matthew Dillon <dillon at apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
:
:>
:>     Well, if you are volunteering to make SMP builds run on UP
:> machines, then definitely feel free to post any questions or problems
:> you have while doing the work and we will try our best to answer them!
:
:I cannot 'make' them run, because I am a non-programmer, but I am willing to help as much as I can (DDB stuff & coredumps, testing new patches etc.)
:Besides this, I can only come up with ideas, and let the geeks decide. :-)
:
:--
:Gergo Szakal <bastyaelvtars at gmail.com>
:University Of Szeged, HU
:Faculty Of General Medicine

    Heh.  Well, I'm hoping someone will take up the ball.  I already did
    most of the annoying work (the namespace separation), so it comes down
    to just some dynamic APIC/ICU detection code (use ICU if APIC is not
    available, add bootenv variable to force use of ICU), and code in the
    SMP blocks to handle the case when the APIC is not available (right now
    all the SMP code just assumes that there is an APIC), and poof, it will
    work.

					<dillon at backplane.com>