Patch framework

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Fri Mar 23 07:56:38 PDT 2007

On Fri, March 23, 2007 6:33 am, Gergo Szakal wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:56:38 +0300
> Eugene <communique at vk.kharkov.ua> wrote:
>
>> So, this mean that the LiveCD will have less functionality and more
>> packages available on it, like a NetBSD CD? If so, it would be sad,
>> because the CD is very useful in its current state and still pretty
>> small. And reinstalling newer versions of tools from packages is not
>> a very big problem, IMHO.
>
> No, it would be in /usr/pkg/{s}bin rather than /usr/{s}bin, there would be
> no functionality loss IMO.

Yeah, what Gergo said.  I think that rather than replacing sendmail with a
program that does less, we can just modularize sendmail so that it's not
directly attached to the build.  This way, the immediate goal of allowing
people to drop in a sendmail replacement is there, without removing any of
the existing functionality.

Corecore's very good at what he does, so I do think his replacement
program can be made to cover what the majority of people need from
sendmail (which isn't much), and anyone with greater needs could still
install sendmail.  However, it seems there's an easier method just by
using the existing packaging system.