HEADS UP! Compatibility slice will no longer point at the first BSD slice

Erik Wikström erik-wikstrom at telia.com
Sun Jun 17 02:59:54 PDT 2007

On 2007-06-17 11:09, Yury Tarasievich wrote:
On 17/06/07, Bill Hacker <wbh at conducive.org> wrote:
Matthew Dillon wrote:
W/R going GPT-way or legacy FreeBSD way - perhaps use of zeroth should be
weighed vis whatever FreeBSD 7.X is doing?
I mean - with whom/what/(anything?) should DFLY try for compatibility?
With common sense, maybe? :) Commonly, count starts from one, there's
no such thing as 0th item (except in some subcultures, that is :).
Like the computer subculture :-) While it might not be what a person
very new to computes might expect I would think that even they can
figure out what 0 comes first of they see list of numbers like 0, 1, 2,
even Windows starts numbering from 0 sometimes. And for someone who used
computers for a while it's nothing strange with starting from 0 and I
dare say that most professionals would find it quite natural. Lastly, I
think that if one should stay compatible with something it should be the
standard, that way it will be easier for people new in the area.

--
Erik Wikström