implemented features (Re: Decision time....)

Erik Wikström erik-wikstrom at telia.com
Wed Jun 6 01:00:00 PDT 2007

On 2007-06-06 01:33, Bill Hacker wrote:
talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr wrote:
km b wrote:

On 6/5/07, Michel Talon <talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr> wrote:

*snip* (64 bit issues)

whatever he sees fit for his project. My own prejudice is that having a
good installer and a good package management system (including a good
upgrade mechanism) is *extremely* important, far more than any kernel
nicety. This is clearly the Achilles heel of all BSD systems. Beleive it or
not, the talent to develop such tools is completely orthogonal to the
talent to do kernel programming.
I don't see a lot wrong with pkgsrc.  Nor any 'easy' (read 'with available
resources') way to improve upon it.

Though I personally still prefer the scope of the FreeBSD ports tree, we all
know the huge 'count' of ports has a lot of redundancy and no small amount of
plain useless or broken junk. So pkgsrc's smaller count is not really all that
much less w/r what can actually be *utilized*.

As far as 'good installer', I experiment with anywhere from half a dozen OS in
any given year.

My all-time favorite intaller - 1970's to this very week - remains the legacy
FreeBSD 'sysinstall'.

Sorry 'bout that, I know a lot of work has been put into DFLY's own installer,
and more coming - but given the choice I'd prefer 'sysinstall' even over the
best-of-breed Loonix variants.

It is always readable, local console or remote ssh, gives me the flexibility I
need - not only for FreeBSD, but to set up HDD for DragonFly and other OS'en as
well. It doesn't use fonts that eye-confuse, either, and I've gotten 'adjusted'
to the way one exits/navigates back up the tree, though that *could* be improved.

Whatever the direction is to be, having a solid kernel and core is far more
important that a slick installer to put in place a 'still needs work' OS.
So true, a lot of people complain about OpenBSD's installer because it
is the way it is. But I don't see the problem, there are excellent
guides available and you only install once so even if the installer is
not the best it's not something you have to live with day in and day
out. The kernel on the other hand must be stable since you'll be using
it every minute of the time you are running the system.

--
Erik Wikström