implemented features (Re: Decision time....)

km b kmb810 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 05:35:02 PDT 2007

On 04 Jun 2007 11:58:18 GMT, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd120 at gmail.com> wrote:

I made no claim about "all" binaries, and I claimed the exact opposite
of what you say I claimed for my own binaries: I said the 32-bit
binaries are 50% slower than the 64-bit binaries.  (Eg, running time
25 secs for 64-bit, 38 secs for 32-bit.)
i did some homework for you and conducted the FFT benchmark (double
precision only, single precision disabled) of the specific library you
mention (GSL) using fftbench  http://www.fftw.org/benchfft/ in two
different execution environments  on Intel Core 2 Duo 1.6G machine
1. pure 64-bit - FreeBSD , CFLAGS="-m64 -march=nocono -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer"

2. 32-bit - DragonFlyBSD, CFLAGS="-march=prescott -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer"

And here I am attaching the results for you to study. Let me know
where do you see the 50 % performance increase?  Although this is not
an extensive testing you're most welcome to verify it.
Cheers
kmb
--
Something is wrong up on cloud # 9!