implemented features (Re: Decision time....)

talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Tue Jun 5 01:23:20 PDT 2007

km b wrote:

> On 6/5/07, Michel Talon <talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> I'd ask you guys from making such comments as the DragonFly ain't SMP
> capable and won't be for a while just because you don't want to try it
> (because it doesn't have fancy graphical installer of your famous
> linux distro) . The negative comments like this have significant
> impact on mindset of casual users who want to try and contribute to
> the project.

I have not made any comment on suitability of DragonFlyBSD for some purpose.
I have only commented that, contrary to what i read under the pen of some
computer science people, there is huge benefit of 64 bits mode for people
doing *real* computation, and totally irrespective wether they have <4 Gigs
memory or > 4 Gigs memory. Of course if they have > 4 Gigs memory, 64 bits
mode is almost mandatory.
This being said this is no implicit of explicit criticism of Matt Dillon,
who is an extremely competent programmer, and has every right to do
whatever he sees fit for his project. My own prejudice is that having a
good installer and a good package management system (including a good
upgrade mechanism) is *extremely* important, far more than any kernel
nicety. This is clearly the Achilles heel of all BSD systems. Beleive it or
not, the talent to develop such tools is completely orthogonal to the
talent to do kernel programming.