No subject

Unknown Unknown
Sat Jul 14 17:30:56 PDT 2007

fc5cdc4k2df92b2d5c109dab at mail.gmail.com> <4699588C.6040005 at fs.ei.tum.de> <46995FB0.1080108 at netphreax.net> <46996887.10404 at fs.ei.tum.de>
From: Matthew Dillon <dillon at apollo.backplane.com>
Subject: Re: 4mb PAGES for mbuf clusters
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 17:29:26 -0700 (PDT)
BestServHost: crater.dragonflybsd.org
Sender: kernel-errors at crater.dragonflybsd.org

:
:Thomas E. Spanjaard wrote:
:>>> Is not the large pages necessary for 64 GB memory support ?
:>> no.  and PAE is stupid, so we won't do that.  it's really stupid.
:> Actually, we will do that. Perhaps not on x86-32, but it sure is a
:> requirement for 64bit long mode on x86-64...
:
:what is?  PAE is not, just the 4-level page table.
:
:cheers
:  simon

     Nothing wrong with the 4-level page table.  It's designed so you
     can assign address spaces their own independant page table directories.
     So, for example, the kernel would no longer need to stuff all the
     kernel's PTEs into each user page table in order to keep the kernel
     mapped.

     Besides, pretty much all the levels except the last are cached.

					<dillon at backplane.com>