4mb PAGES for mbuf clusters

km b kmb810 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 20:12:31 PDT 2007

On 7/13/07, Matthew Dillon <dillon at apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
    It's not a bad idea and tests done on FreeBSD have shown a
    significant improvement in performance for certain workloads,
    but it's fairly difficult to manage memory in 4MB chunks
    and fragmentation will screw it up on machines with long uptimes,
    so unless we rewrite a whole lot of subsystems I don't think we
    can do better then a hack.  For the record, I don't like what FreeBSD
    did.
Would you be able to recall what FreeBSD did? I couldn't find anything
on mail archives. If it's worth I'll give it a try for private use
even though it's a hack.
Cheers
kmb
--