Intel on-die digital thermal sensor readout support

Thomas E. Spanjaard tgen at netphreax.net
Tue Jul 31 16:14:29 PDT 2007

I've written a small kernel module to readout the temperatures from CPU
cores in recent Intel CPUs (roughly since the P4). It's rough around the
edges, and currently uses a hardcoded reference value suitable for newer
Core 2 Duo/Quad CPUs, which I'll have to fix someday. At least it works:

virgo# sysctl hw.coretemp
hw.coretemp.polling_rate: 10
hw.coretemp.cpu0: 67
hw.coretemp.cpu1: 62
hw.coretemp.cpu2: 59
hw.coretemp.cpu3: 61
(this example is from a Core 2 Quad Q6600, stock speeds, boxed HSF)

Tarball is at http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~tgen/coretemp.tgz , untar
into sys/dev/misc/intelcore/. I'm not sure if anyone else finds this
useful, if they do, I'll commit it after cleaning it up.

Cheers,
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard
        tgen at netphreax.net