machine/platform separation

Thomas E. Spanjaard tgen at netphreax.net
Mon Jan 15 13:31:22 PST 2007

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
where is the difference between platform and machine?
Machine is our compatible-with-the-unwashed-Huns-from-the-north form of
platform.

can't we use:
cpu == arch (== machine?):
- i386
- amd64
platform:
- i386
- amd64
- vkernel
and have everything covered?
Only if you like those names.

does it *have* to be a different name for platform and cpu?  i mean,
that's two different namespaces, i do not see any harm using i386 as a
platform name.  my goal is to keep things as easy as possible.  a
cross-build should just require TARGET_ARCH=amd64, or fwiw,
TARGET_PLATFORM=vkernel.  but the nomenclature should be sensible and
follow POLA.
My point is, that nomenclature is not sensible, only commonly used.
Though, I see no problem in supporting both TARGET_PLATFORM=foo and
TARGET_ARCH=bar for the people that have a preference towards either of
them.

Cheers :),
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard