machine/platform separation

Thomas E. Spanjaard tgen at netphreax.net
Mon Jan 15 12:08:14 PST 2007

Matthew Dillon wrote:
Thomas E. Spanjaard wrote:
:At least 'i386' sucks as platform name. It's not true anymore that all
:IA32 (yes, that's the CPU arch name Intel actually uses these days) CPUs
:live in PC machines, and picking 'i386' as name for the machine with a
:PC BIOS and an IA32 CPU is just confusing baggage. What would you name
:the EFI+IA32 machine? efi386? mac386 (hah, wait 'til other manufacturers
:start shipping IA32 boxen with EFI firmware)? And the (hypothetical?)
:case of OFW+IA32?
:Ofcourse, the rest of the world is still retarded, and we need to deal
:with that. But going for 'i386' and 'amd64' is basically going for the
:lowest common denominator. Sure, it's 'common practice', a 'de facto
:standard', but it's WRONG.
    Part of the problem is that I only separated the code into two
    physical pieces (cpu and machine architectures) when I should have
    separated it into three (cpu, machine, and platform).  At the time I
    felt three was too many.  I even created three built-in MAKE variables,
    I just named them badly and didn't go far enough.
Introducing a third variable would certainly work around the issue, as
you can keep 'machine' compatible with the rest of the world (e.g. for
gcc host/target selection, uname -m output, etc), without having to give
up the ideal of The Right Name For The Animal.

    This will take a bit of CVS surgery
    (I have to rename /usr/src/sys/machine to /usr/src/sys/platform).  I
    guess I should probably do it before we branch, which means delaying the
    branch until Friday-ish (but not delaying the release which is still
    going to be ~2 weeks).
Let's hope the week that's left for stabilising if necessary is enough :).

Cheers,
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard
        tgen at netphreax.net