No subject

Unknown Unknown
Thu Jan 11 17:24:05 PST 2007

monkey.org> <20070112005352.GA31560 at gnuppy.monkey.org>
From: Matthew Dillon <dillon at apollo.backplane.com>
Subject: Re: VKernel progress update - 9 Jan 2006
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:21:26 -0800 (PST)
BestServHost: crater.dragonflybsd.org
Sender: kernel-errors at crater.dragonflybsd.org

:> Try looking at this:
:> 	http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/slides/ols2002/ols2002.html
:>
:> Looks like they changed mmap to be nestable within the guest kernel and
:> other things regarding signals and ptrace. You'll have a better idea than
:> me about this stuff.
:
:This is more recent.
:
:	http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/slides/lwe2005/img0.html
:
:bill

    Hmm.  The first one has more information but is very old.  Most of
    the stuff on the site is from 2002.  The second one was done in 2005
    but has no significant information.  The diary here seems to have
    more recent info:

	http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/diary.html

    But I still have not found a good technical description of what they
    are doing.  Are they actually using ptrace to manipulate dummied
    up processes in the real kernel to shadow the emulated processes
    in the UML?  That sounds pretty wasteful.  But that was described in
    2002.

    I feel kinda sheepish.  I've only spent two months doing the DragonFly
    V-kernel and it never felt like a big deal to me.  Just grunt work.
    The linux folks seem to have a whole site revolving around UML and
    even a book!  A book!  Who has time to write a book?

					<dillon at backplane.com>