VKernel progress update - 10 Jan 2006

Sepherosa Ziehau sepherosa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 18:13:18 PST 2007

On 1/12/07, Matthew Dillon <dillon at apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
    I would suggest that VKE's be numbered from zero, because then we could
    have the vkernel automatically allocate a free TAP interface and not
    create confusion with rc.conf in the virtual environment.
OK

    Also, the vkernel can ifconfig up the TAP side of the interface as well
    or do the basic bridge tie-in.  That way the sysop wouldn't have to
    worry about which tap interface was allocated.
    Bridging is easy mode but not paricularly efficient because broadcasts
    would wind up being spammed to all the running vkernels (not fun!).
    routing a LAN IP might be a better solution.  I can see a need for both
    solutions.
    So, e.g. leave the -I option intact but add some features and optional
    real-kernel-side IP configuration.  like this:
    -I auto:10.0.0.1:10.0.0.2
    -I auto:10.0.0.1:10.0.0.2:24
    -I auto:bridge0
    -I tap0:bridge0
       auto        - automatically find a free TAP interface and use it
       10.0.0.1    - specify TAP interface IP
       10.0.0.2    - specify VKE interface IP
IMHO, we need not to specify vke(4) ip address on command line,
instead, it should be configured in vkernel.
Best Regards,
sephe
--
Live Free or Die