VKernel progress update - 8 Jan 2006 (milestone reached!)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Jan 9 10:01:00 PST 2007

:Matt named the disk device 'vd'. Following this scheme, the ethernet
:driver could be named 've'. What do people think about this?
:
:I actually don't mind if it's 'vk' or 'v' as a prefix, so vkd for the
:disk driver and vke for the network driver would be fine with me as
:well. It's just that I'd like to write a vdevice(4) manpage (or
:something like that) which discusses all drivers for vkernel, and I
:thought it could be nice to point out that all those drivers follow some
:uniform naming scheme.
:
:Now would be a good time to agree on one.
:
:Regards,
:Sascha

    A vdevice and a vkernel man page would be great!

    Here's another little tidbit to put in the vkernel man page, along with
    the stuff you already had in the sampler you emailed me.

    The virtual kernel enables all terminal signals while in DDB mode but
    only enables the ^\ terminal signal while operating as a console,
    allowing ^C, ^Z and so forth to feed through.

    While one can always kill a virtual kernel with kill(1), it is often
    much easier to simply drop it into DDB with ^\ and then kill it with ^C.