Plans for 1.8+ (2.0?)

Noah yan noah.yan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 13:26:59 PST 2007

Hi Matt,

first congratulation for your 1.8 release, a solid and tremendous
progress. some questions (hopefully not too far from the scope :) ...
On 1/31/07, Matthew Dillon <dillon at apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
:Besides the finalization of vkernel, what else can we expect into 2.0? There are many long-awaited (not only by me) features and additions:
:- ZFS
    I am seriously considering our options with regards to ZFS or a
    ZFS-like filesystem.  We clearly need something to replace UFS,
    but I am a bit worried that porting ZFS would be as much work
    as simply designing a new filesystem from scratch.
    One big advantage of a from-scratch design is that I would be
    able to address the requirements of a clustered operating system
    in addition the requirements of multi-terrabyte storage media.
is parallel file system in this scope, or it is the requirement you
have for cluster OS? what would be the advantage of designing a new
one compared to the current and existing one, considering the
advantage of the dfly kernel for SSI os to other kernel? put in
another way, is a new fs that will take advantage of the kernel
advantage superior to others,  from what we can predict now.
even too much questions, hope they are all relevant.

Noah

    With vertical recording, hard drives are set to exceed 1TB a platter
    either this year or next year.
:- updated installer: fixed web based installation etc.
:- updated PF
:- getting the network stack (and others) out of the BGL
:- AMD64 port.
    I am hoping other developers take up the ball on these items.

                                        <dillon at backplane.com>
:Note that this is not meant to be demanding at all, I am just interested, because there is no clear roadmap. I just would like to see the developers' plans.
:
:And don't forget: I am here to test. ;-)
:
:--
:Gergo Szakal <bastyaelvtars at gmail.com>
:University Of Szeged, HU