Plans for 1.8+ (2.0?)

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Mon Feb 12 19:02:29 PST 2007

On Mon, February 12, 2007 9:04 pm, Chris Csanady wrote:

> While I don't want it to distract you from the more important goals, I
> think a ZFS port would be well worth the minimal time investment to
> get it to the point where someone else could pick it up.  It would
> also be a great selling point.  Since DragonFly doesn't even have a
> journalling filesystem, this seriously limits its utility, and that is
> really unfortunate.

I agree on this; ZFS has a very interesting feature set, and is being
developed by a greater number of people across other operating systems,
which can work to our benefit in the same way we benefit from the external
maintenance of pkgsrc.

It has benefits that go beyond clustering ability; while it may be more
work to convert ZFS for clustering, I can't imagine a homegrown filesystem
is necessarily going to have the same amount of documentation, toolsets,
or external support.