vke & link level addressing

Chris Turner c.turner at 199technologies.org
Mon Aug 6 05:29:56 PDT 2007

Sascha Wildner wrote:

> This doesn't address loader.conf of course and I think newbtconf(8)
> doesn't completely solve the rest of Chris' needs, but I thought I'd
> point it out so that we don't create conflicts with a new config file
> that does a whole bunch of stuff which is also covered elsewhere.

Thanks for pointing out - I had no idea newbtconf existed!

but,

I think this is different in that newbtconf is configuration internal to
vkernel systems (RCNg specific?), and the proposed vkernel.conf is
configuration external to vkernel systems (e.g. virtual hardware, memory
size, etc).

The fact that we're able to specify the vke configuration externally
is kind of an 'anomaly' of external config determining internal settings
E.g. network settings are typically 'internal' e.g. via rc.conf ifconfig
statements.. unless I'm just plain wrong and someone needs to enlighten me

- Chris