vke & link level addressing

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Mon Aug 6 00:41:48 PDT 2007

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
On Sun, August 5, 2007 5:15 pm, Matthew Dillon wrote:

    Things start to get confusing when you pile on the features.  Instead
    we might want to go to a kernel environment 'variable=data' style
    syntax.
    In fact, how about a way to specify an out-of-band /boot/loader.conf
    file on the command line?
Would it be worth establishing a /etc/vkernel.conf file that contains
different profiles (selecting DHCP, which /boot/loader.conf, etc) in the
simple 'x=y' format above?
Given profiles could be grouped by name in that file, and then the name of
the profile could be supplied as the argument to the vkernel, saving a lot
of typing.  Multiple vkernels with the same profile can then be created by
specifying a class instead of explicit options every time, and we can ship
with a default profile.
Hmm,

it might be worth noting that we do already have newbtconf(8) which
allows for multiple boot configurations (never used it personally, though).
This doesn't address loader.conf of course and I think newbtconf(8)
doesn't completely solve the rest of Chris' needs, but I thought I'd
point it out so that we don't create conflicts with a new config file
that does a whole bunch of stuff which is also covered elsewhere.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx