Cache coherency, clustering, and Kernel virtualization

Thomas E. Spanjaard tgen at netphreax.net
Sat Sep 2 14:21:03 PDT 2006

Bill Hacker wrote:
Thomas E. Spanjaard wrote:
This is hardly the logical step forward beyond SMP, and does nothing
to make proper use of consumer-level NUMA equipment (AMDs
Athlon64/Opteron family of processors for example), I don't see
multiple virtual kernels work in a NUMA system. Or do you intend to
not neglect this class of machines? :)
Let us not forget that what Matt has proposed to do is not the
be-all-and end-all of DFLY. Wasn't really even the core part of the
'Prime Directive'.
Good, I feared otherwise ;).

NUMA, and the AMD instructions set, as well as Intel's sudden rush of
brains to the anatomy with Vanderpool, are not yet where IBM's
mainframe-class CPU have been for a very long time.  I'm not talking
about speed or cost, or even elegance of the instructions set or
pipeline - or any of that.
IBM's mainframes didn't really cater for the same market as, say, SGI's
MPP machines. The latter is what I like, you like something else
(better)(as you say further on :)).

JM2CW
Just My 2 Cents... Worth?

but Virtualization and hypervisor capability are of far more
utility to me, here and now, than clustering is likely to be ... ever.
The opposite holds for me :).

Cheers,
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard