Cache coherency, clustering, and Kernel virtualization

Thomas E. Spanjaard tgen at netphreax.net
Sun Sep 3 09:15:00 PDT 2006

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:I'm not fully getting this I'm afraid. So, probably a stupid question:
:In the end it will be possible to cluster the real kernels, right ? Or
:are you saying you will always use userland kernels to partition
:resources and "donate" resources to a cluster ?
:(The idea of userland kernels is really attractive as a development
:tool and equally in terms of partitioning resources of course).
    You will be able to cluster the real kernels, yes.  The limitation is
    that it is likely that any given kernel (real or virtual) will only
    be able to join a single named cluster.
Which is to be expected ofcourse, when clustering the real kernel. I
assume this would also bypass some of the code that is necessary for
multi-grid clustering? And that a real-kernel-cluster could act as a MPP
host for multi-grid clustering over the internet, as you plan? In that
case, I see no problems :).

Cheers,
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard