GCC 4.1 status

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Fri Nov 10 01:18:48 PST 2006

Hi,

because some people have asked about this in the past, here's the
current status of GCC 4.1 support:

- Building world & kernel works with CCVER=gcc41.

- sephe has provided a patch that imports GCC 4.1's crtstuff.c. It can
be found at http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/crtstuff2.diff. It fixes
issues with static binaries and makes __constructor work (for
ifconfig(8) e.g.).

- After applying this patch, a 4.1 world can be installed and will work
except for C++ stuff which has problems with GCC 4.1's libstdc++.so.9
(some 'Unknown symbol ""' error, don't remember exactly). This issue
hasn't been fixed so far but it seems to be the last (?) major issue
with world.

- Regarding running a 4.1 kernel: The last time I tried this it
immediately crashed at the very beginning. But it was before sephe's
patch, so I don't know if that changed anything.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx