HEADS UP - More major build infrastructure changes

David Cuthbert dacut at kanga.org
Tue Nov 7 02:56:22 PST 2006

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    I changed it to pc32, to differentiate between 32 and 64 bit
    architectures (e.g. pc32, pc64).
Hmm... PC## is already overloaded -- with PC98
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-9800)

    x86 isn't really descriptive
    enough.  ia32/ia64 is also a possible name but I want to avoid
    using things that imply 'intel' or 'amd' since there are other
    cpu vendors out there too.
I'd say this is a losing battle.  You're trying to find a compromise
between describing feature requirements ("Your computer must have at
least these features to go on this ride") while trying to avoid
confusing the crowd who thinks anything in a beige box is a PC,
everything else is a Mac.

(I knew someone who insisted my 386 in college was a Shamrock computer
simply because that was the label on the monitor.)