The Clustering and Userland VFS transport protocol - summary

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun May 14 10:41:07 PDT 2006

    I'm going to be a bit quiet on the lists for the next few days.  I'm
    hard at work breaking the journaling protocols out into their own
    module and modifying them for cluster and userland VFS communication.

    I'm going to call the new subsystem SYSLINK, meaning 'system link'.
    The idea is pretty straight forward.

    The initial commit will just replace the VFS and VOP calls with the new
    infrastructure.  There is actually no change at all to the calls
    themselves (yet).  It will virtually be a drop-in replacement.  After
    that I'll work on extending the protocol to add support for
    over-the-wire transactions for userland VFS support, which will also
    necessitate changes to the way I/O is handled (particularly UIO's --
    data transfers to and from userland).

    It turns out that the basic communications issues involved with writing
    a userland VFS are exactly the same issues involved with implementing
    a communications link between machines in a cluster.