User-Space Device Drivers

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Mar 1 14:05:54 PST 2006

:
:Emiel and Matt,
:
:I understand what each of you are saying.  I understand that this work
:may or may not be used in the end, but it's a good thesis project and
:one I will complete to the best of my ability.  It may also prove to
:perform better than some people think it will, causing some to
:reconsider approaching driver development in user-space; on the other
:hand, it may prove that this approach still isn't useful for certain
:things such as drivers that need direct access to hardware.

    The work would definitely be used.  I would use it to port ZFS!

:Matt, I may have some questions for you regarding DFly soon.  If I can't
:find the answers in the source or docs, perhaps I could hit the news
:list with them and get some feedback from you?
:
:Thanks much, friends!

    Certainly.  If you intend to put a lot of time into this, and
    it sounds like you do, then you and I should discuss the API
    so it can be made something that can exist permanently as part
    of the DragonFly system.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>