DragonflyBSD fast syscall support and x86 improvements

Thomas E. Spanjaard tgen at netphreax.net
Mon Jun 26 05:37:01 PDT 2006

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    For better or for worse, the IA32 ABI is stack-based.  Believe me,
    being an old Amiga guy I would *LOVE* to see the registerized call
    standard be the default rather then a special GCC '__blah' qualifier.
Well, the ISA is, but the underlying micro architecture isn't. The ISA
doesn't expose the problems with memory access in stack-based languages,
but the CPUs do experience those. With a Hobbit or ARM with Java
extensions you would have less of an issue with this. So I think you can
get real performance advantages when optimizing for the actual RISC
register-based core behind the IA32 ISA. How is a bit of a problem,
since you can't use the whole lot of registers actually available due to
register renaming, but I think x86-64 in 64b long mode has more GP
registers available, no? An optimization for AMD64 (together with a port
of DragonFlyBSD to it ;)) would be very, very neat :).

Cheers,
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard
        tgen at xxxxxxxxxxxxx