ipfw deprecation

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Mon Jun 26 08:54:09 PDT 2006

On 26.06.2006, at 15:50, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
Is there anything pf can't do that ipfw does?  If there's nothing lost,
then there's no reason to keep it - we just need to be sure that
there's a
migration path.  For instance, I'm using ipfw for NAT, and I need to
transition.
yes, ipfw can do dummynet, and pf can't do that.  if you want to do
traffic shaping, you can use altq, but if you want to simulate
different network connections, you need to have dummynet.

also, i'd like to remove it *after* 1.6, this means people will still
have half a year to migrate or port ipfw/dummynet to pfil.

cheers
  simon
PGP.sig