ipfw deprecation

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Sun Jun 25 04:25:03 PDT 2006

Hey,

I would like to deprecate ipfw (and dummynet, because it needs ipfw)
for the next release and remove it in 1.7.

My main reason is not its functionality, which is not bad after all,
but its property of lieing around everywhere in the ip stack and
littering it.  Furthermore, we have pf and ipf available since long
time, so the transition period should have been long enough.

Of course, if somebody needs it, a pfil'ed version of ipfw+dummynet can
be added instead (port from freebsd?)

Opinions?

cheers
  simon