struct resource question

joerg at britannica.bec.de joerg at britannica.bec.de
Thu Jun 8 14:19:43 PDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 10:51:05AM -0700, Chuck Tuffli wrote:
> There is an aspect of struct resource (src/sys/sys/rman.h) that I'm
> tempted to change but I wanted a) to get a sense from others if this
> is worth changing and b) find out what kind of changes others would
> like to see.

The big problem I have with the current resource implementation and more
importantly the bus_dma framework as inherited from FreeBSD is that we
have two different hierachies in the tree. We have the flat / MD bus_dma
implementation and the tree of kobj for devices. When you can cleanup
this relationship and use struct resource only to enumerate the
available resources, it should be much easier to extend.

Joerg