Fwd: Re: ipfw deprecation

Freddie Cash fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca
Thu Jun 29 12:38:44 PDT 2006

On Thu, June 29, 2006 11:04 am, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> On Thu, June 29, 2006 12:40 pm, Gary Allan wrote:
>> I working on importing the PFIL conversion of ipfw2 from FreeBSD.
>> Removing ipfw1 makes this a whole lot easier as ipfw1 was removed
>> from FreeBSD some time ago. I have quite a few scripts and programs
>> that make use of ipfw/dummynet and would like to see it stay.

> Hats off to Gary, for doing instead of talking.

> Incidentally, does ipfw2 require any syntax changes in configuration,
> compared to ipfw1?

See the ipfw(8) man page on FreeBSD 5.3 or higher.  There are very few
syntactical differences between IPFW1 and IPFW2, and all IPFW1
rulesets should work without changes on IPFW2.  There are a lot of
nice new features in IPFW2, though.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi if you don't have a FreeBSD 5.x/6.x
box handy.

----
Freddie Cash, LPCI-1 CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73                    (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fcash-ml at xxxxxxxxxx