DragonFly 1.4. on Asus A8N SLI Premium

Willy Jacobs wn.jacobs at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 04:08:29 PDT 2006

I tried to install DragonFly 1.4.4 (from the offical ISO image) on my
recent Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard. The CPU is an Athlon 64 X2 3800+.
On the IDE (PATA) are a DVD-RW, DVD-ROM and a hard disk. Also 2 SATA
hard disks are present.

During booting I see that the DragonFly kernel issues strange errors on
the SATA drives (but the are recognized properly), eg.:

ad10: DMA limited to UDMA33, non ATA66 cable or device

and on the DVD-RW device:

acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout resetting

and a lot of these errors:

acd0: failure to execute ATAPI packet command.

At then the mounting of the root (cd9660:/dev/acd0a) failed.

Should DragonFly run on this motherboard (Nforce 4 based)?

PS. On the same hardware Solaris Express and Fedora Core 5 runs without
problems.

---
willy