code bounties for DragonFly ?

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Fri Jan 27 13:51:03 PST 2006

On Fri, January 27, 2006 2:06 pm, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Any and all pkgsrc help (and any help in general) is extremely
>     valuable to the project.  If all we did was push towards clustered
>     computing, everything else that makes an operating system useful
>     would become stale.  Say, oh, like applications!   Then we'd have
>     a clustered OS with no apps!

I recall someone (Matt, maybe) saying that each open source project needs
the "oxygen" of surrounding projects.  We already have more than competent
C coders working; what we need are all the other services and material
that grows up around a project, like what's happened with Linux.

In no particular order:

- Equivalent to FreshPorts/pkgsrc.se
- Live CD
- Web-based forums (I know this was discussed recently)
- Vendors (re) selling CDs
- Books
- shirts, stickers, ephemera
- News sites for DragonFly (I'm trying to cover this one)
- game sites for DragonFly
- etc.

A lot of these things require little or no programming experience.  Heck,
take any of the Linux-branded or associated sites out there, and use
DragonFly instead as the focus point.