kgdb can't unwind double faults

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Jan 30 23:15:30 PST 2006

:hey,
:
:in the process of trying to get my NForce4 GeForce 6150 IGP running=20
:under X (by porting the FreeBSD driver) I noticed that our gdb can't=20
:unwind over double faults.  In fact it seems like there is code to=20
:unwind over traps, but it isn't used (due to structural changes in=20
:gdb6).
:
:Am I missing something?  Is there a way to see the stack trace=20
:nevertheless?  Is there somebody who wants to port FreeBSD's efforts?=20
:(dunno if we want a seperate kgdb binary, but it seems an easy way)
:
:cheers
:   simon

    I have very little experience with gdb but the basic answer is
    *YES*, it is possible.  There is some code in there somewhere for
    tracking down stack frames and it would not be too difficult
    to detect when the stack frame is sitting on the double-fault
    stack and to have the backtrace chain back to the kernel stack.