lookupd-style daemon

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Sat Jan 28 10:49:28 PST 2006

Ivan Voras wrote:
Would it be more clever to take advantage of the fact that we have a
persistent daemon that can maintain connections to database servers (I'm
thinking LDAP and SQL here) and cache things in memory, or would it be
in the best interest to be able to load other NSS modules?
I think the lookupd should be able to link nss modules.  Oh how cool
would it be if pam could do that as well...

LDAP itself can be configured to pass requests to other LDAP servers.
There's also a small issue with cache_timeout: if you have local
cache_timeout of 30s and configure it to contact another instance of
lookupd that also caches it for 30s, could the data get 1 minute stale?
just send the timeout information (like recursive DNS does).

cheers
  simon