What do people think about adaptive polling?

Hasso Tepper hasso at estpak.ee
Tue Dec 12 04:56:09 PST 2006

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> I think that's the equivalent of fast and slow interrupts in bsd.  we
> basically (with some exceptions, like serial io) do all the work in the
> slow interrupt handler (= interrupt thread).

As far as I understand it, no. Correct me if I'm wrong, but fast and slow
interrupts is about splitting interrupts into two kinds - serial io is
example of fast interrupt and network io is example of slow interrupt.

Sofirq in Linux is about splitting work done to serve one interrupt into two
parts - minimal and very fast interrupt handler schedules task done in
sofirq thread.

--
Hasso Tepper