User-Space Device Drivers

Csaba Henk csaba.henk at creo.hu
Sun Apr 2 11:57:59 PDT 2006

On 2006-04-02, Andreas Hauser <andy at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Will it support FUSE, http://fuse.sourceforge.net/?
> Csaba implemented it for FreeBSD:
> http://fuse4bsd.creo.hu/

I do plan porting FUSE over dfly, but not by dumbly Dragonflyizing the
FBSD module.

My plan is to make FUSE work by means of thin userspace glue layer atop of
Dfly's native userspace fs API... when there will be such a thing.

While (I think) the native API will be designed from scratch as it suits
for Dfly needs, a FUSE compat layer would be very useful because of the
cross platform nature of FUSE and the existing large codebase built on it.

This is how it seems to make sense for me, and the possibility of
having a pure userspace FUSE implementation sounds exciting.

Regards,
Csaba