Bug Tracking System [Was: Re: final thoughts - bug tracking system]

Carl Schmidt cschmidtlib at comcast.net
Wed Sep 21 18:19:11 PDT 2005

Carl Schmidt wrote:
Bill Huey (hui) wrote:
[blah blah blah]

> [my blah blah blah]
Okay.

Several of you have made it clear that you don't enjoy my
position on the project's ownership, and have thus
clarified some things for me.  Thanks.
I'm sorry.

Anyways, the point was really just that this kind of
"flaming" as hui puts it, is really useless. About as
useless as my response.
And for the on-topic part of my reply-to-my-reply:

A bug tracking system does not need to be complicated.
I believe it should start with some very basic needs:
1.) The ability to submit a bug report.
2.) The ability to modify the submitted reported.
    * By a developer who takes control of the issue.
    * By the submitter.
3.) The ability to escalate the severity of a report.
4.) The ability to change the context of the report
    (that is, change from userland to kernel for instance)
That's about it. Everything else is essentially front-end
related.
Again, apologies for declaring Matt the dictator of DragonFly,
I didn't think anyone would be offended. :)
--
Carl Schmidt