final thoughts - bug tracking system

Freddie Cash fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca
Wed Sep 14 22:50:04 PDT 2005

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 03:10:30 +0100
> Hiten Pandya <hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>>> Is it worth using a non-free, non-open source project?

>> The project can get an open-source license for JIRA and that should
>> be no  problem.  In fact, Simon is already making an effort toward
>> this end.

> This doesn't change the fact that JIRA is closed-source.

> Does anyone (besides me) have objections to this on principle (rather
>  than on a pragmatic basis)?

> What kind of message does it send about DragonFly's commitment to
> open-source, for example?  Isn't it kind of like saying to our fellow
> volunteers on projects such as Bugzilla and Trac: "Well thanks for
> giving back to the community, guys, but in the end we'd rather help
> improve a closed commercial product than help you improve yours" ?

When did choosing a product based on merit, on features, and on "will
it get the job done better than the alternatives" become anathema?
When did having access to the source code, or the license it is
released under become more important than features, ease-of-use, and
support?

--
Freddie Cash, CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73             (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]