bug tracking system

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Tue Sep 13 23:52:03 PDT 2005

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
My vote *clearly* goes, without any doubt, to jira.
[..]
Granted a bug-tracking system isn't as mission-critical as a SCM,
there are still questions:
1. Will there always be a free version?  What happens if the company
   folds up or is bought out?
I don't know.  At the moment there is, and large open source projects
(e.g. Apache) use it.

2. Is the present free version usable for eternity?  Even if it is,
   what is the guarantee that it will be usable on a contemporary
   system in 5 years time?
In its current state, yes.  It will run wherever java 1.4.2 or 1.5 runs.
 I don't think we will need feature updates.

3. How easy is it to migrate the database to a different SCM, if
   needed?
You can export the whole database as XML.

Of course I thought about all those points before recommending it.

cheers
  simon
Work - Mac      +++  space for low $$$ NOW!1  +++      Campaign     \ /