severe pkgsrc system usage

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Fri Sep 9 11:37:31 PDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 05:42:32PM +0200, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> just installing all pkgs new and I am noticing a real high system usage
> when compiling with pkgsrc.  Plus because of this compilation is dog
> slow.

About the first part, I'm not really sure if the account is done
correctly. Given that pkgsrc does involve more execs and forks than
useful, it would be more likely to trigger bugs in that area.

The compilation is slower, but simply because pkgsrc uses -O2 by
default, unlike ports.

> I think this is because of libtool->pkgsrc toolchain wrapper (lots of
> stuff)->objformat->cc (finally!)

I don't think pkgsrc's toolchain wrapper and objformat are adding that
much overhead. objformat is another exec, but it might worth measuring
the effect of compiling it statically. Anyone wants to do a test run on
a spare box with the attached patch? I haven't checked everything, but
the pkgsrc wrappers shouldn't add that much overhead either, compared to
libtool.

Nevertheless keep in mind that at least for bigger stuff like C++ the
runtime of gcc is much, much longer.

Joerg