PKGSRC will be officially supported as of the next release

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Sep 1 10:27:19 PDT 2005

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Matthew Dillon wrote:

   Current kernels are (supposed to be) backwards compatible, so it
   might suffice to create another jailed root with a 1.2 environment
   installed in it to maintain packages for 1.2.  We certainly have enough
   disk space to support several environments.
   Jeremy, if I set-up another jail with a 1.2 compile environment (e.g.
   everything from the 1.2 release track except certain static binaries
   like 'ps' which would have to be the ones for the actual kernel that is
   running), would it be much of a burden to run package builds in it as
   well?
Yes, that should be fine. I can set that up.

Is it okay, if I set up NFS to serve up the pkgsrc tree so both jails can
use it? Or is there another way to share the directory?

Pkgsrc is already designed to allow same pkgsrc tree to be used
simultaneously. Just set WRKDIR_BASENAME and PACKAGES to be unique for
each build. Also there are some "locking" techniques which I have not used
yet, which possibly can be used to make sure one build doesn't attempt to
use a partially downloaded distfile being retrieved by another build (but
this won't matter if the distfiles are already retrieved).

By the way, NetBSD pkgsrc provides a NetBSD-specific library called
libkver. It provides libkver library which provides uname(3) and sysctl(3)
and a sysctl(8) replacement. This is used to override the system version
-- so we can do bulk builds on a release candidate (or other) but the
resulting binaries hopefully won't have hard-coded references to the
actual build system version.

 Jeremy C. Reed