Fwd: SPLs and their ex-function / replacement

Alex Burke alexjeffburke at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 10:05:15 PDT 2005

Hi, I remember that SPLs were removed from DragonFlyBSD, but having readwhat they are for (setting the various priority levels on interruptprocessing code so things are processed in the right order wheninterrupts/traps are received), I wondered how replacing them with asingle tier of critical sections works? Are there some interruptpriorities hard coded into the LWKT scheduler on each CPU? Also, just wondering how the above relates to converting the interruptprocessing stuff to run in a thread
context for each driver...doesthat allow interrupts to be scheduled by normal means (I would guessLWKT) rather than having a special mechanism? Thank you for putting up with these sorts of questions, I am trying toget my head around operating systems and some of the approaches inDragonFlyBSD are really novel so I cant find much information aboutthem. Thanks in advance, Alex Burke.